Allergy Relief at Touchstone Naturopathic Centre
The practitioners at Touchstone can help diagnose and treat a variety of allergies including:
- Food allergies and sensitivities
- Environmental allergies ranging from pollens, ragweed/hayfever, dust, pet allergies, and more...
- Chemicals such as pesticides, paints, glues, perfumes, cleaning products, and more...
Factors contributing to allergies include:
- Family History: allergies are more likely in children if parents and sibling suffer from allergies.
- Health of the digestive system: The intestinal wall should be a barrier to allergens. If it is "leaky" the allergens pass into the bloodstream, and the immune system will become sensitized.
- Status of immune system health: balance between fighting infections and resisting allergies is delicate. Factors may shift the immune status, promoting susceptibility to allergens.
- Stress: excessive, unmanaged stress will shift the immune system into "allergy mode". Most allergies cause a release of histamine and other inflammatory compounds. Cortisol, a hormone produced by the adrenal glands during stress, has anti-inflammatory activity that can help manage inflammation. If a person is over-stressed for a long period of time, their production of cortisol will likely be insufficient, allowing the histamine to cause a variety of symptoms.
Touchstone Naturopathic Centre's approach to treating allergies goes beyond relieving symptoms. Our comprehensive treatment options include:
- Direct treatment of allergy symptoms using herbal or homeopathic medicines, nutritional supplements (eg. Quercitin, Vitamin C) and possibly acupuncture.
Digestive system support: Probiotics and digestive enzymes to reduce inflammation that leads to "leaky gut". Elimination diets conducted for several weeks are helpful in reducing the burden of allergens, and healing the intestinal lining. Finally, herbs and nutritional supplements will speed the healing of the GI tract. The
Holistic Nutritionists at Touchstone play a key role in helping people learn quickly how to eat in a low-allergy, healing manner.
- Probiotics: specific types of "good" bacteria promote more stability of the immune system, with less susceptibility to allergies.
- Adrenal support: ensures better or sufficient levels of cortisol is circulating to block histamine and other inflammatory compounds.
- Stress Management & Lifestyle counselling: identify your worst stressors and learn techniques that can help you regain control over them (because they really don't go away).
- Allergy desensitization: The NAET method of energy rebalancing can help teach your body to tolerate foods or certain allergens again.
We want to emphasize that Touchstone's approach to allergies is not just to treat and mask the symptoms, but to hopefully help you overcome your allergies permanently. It seems like there is a lot to do, but it's worth it.
If you suffer from seasonal allergies, your treatment should be started at least three (3) months before the allergies typically start.
We can help! Call us today at 905-822-2046.