Scott Clack, B.Sc., N.D. initially trained as a "Defeat Autism Now!" practitioner in 2005, and has attended three additional Physician Training sessions since then. He has also consulted for the Great Plains Laboratory, and lectured at conferences across Canada and the United States. He has consulted on the cases of, and treated, over 900-1000 children with ASD and other neurodevelopment disorders for over 15 years.
Where do you start on your journey to recovery?
The healing process requires three key phases:
Phase 1 – Restoring Innate Healing Mechanisms
- To restore health to any patient, it's necessary to be sure that they body is receiving essential nutrients (vitamins, minerals, essential fats and amino acids) to support normal chemistry and physiology, and to repair any damage that's been done. This requires dietary change and support of the digestive system (enzymes, stomach acid and probiotic bacteria).
- This phase involves supporting mitochondrial function so that every cell can function as optimally as possible. It is also important to cleanse the liver and kidneys, to improve their output because this phase also targets increasing methylation and transsulfation reactions that ultimately detoxify harmful compounds (chemicals, plastics, heavy metals, etc) that are known to impair healthy function.
- Testing is the ideal method of determining the specific needs of each patient. Typical testing include:
- Organic Acids analysis
- IgG, IgA or IgE food sensitivity or allergy testing
- Amino Acids analysis
- Comprehensive digestive analysis
- Blood tests: CBC, serum ferritin (iron), zinc, copper, ESR, CRP, Vitamin D, Homocysteine, cholesterol panel
- Cytokine tests
- Typical Naturopathic treatments in this phase include:
- Nutritional supplements: Multivitamin, Omega-3, Methyl-B12, active folic acid, DMG/TMG, probiotics, digestive enzymes, 5HTP, Melatonin, minerals (trace elements)
- Herbal medicines: Curcumin, Ginkgo, Rhodiola, Green tea catechins
- Homeopathy: single remedies and targeted formulations
Phase 2 – Escalation
- Some children improve dramatically during Phase 1, and may not need further treatment. In other children, Phase 1 scratches the surface. Lab testing can be repeated to show that their metabolic function is improving, yet their autistic traits remain mostly unchanged. Possible targets of treatment include:
- Infections such as viruses, bacteria (eg. Borrelia/Lyme or Streptococcus) or parasites
- Heavy metal burden including lead, mercury, cadmium, aluminium, arsenic and others
- Better regulation of immune dysfunction (eg. elevated cytokines) or inflammation
Phase 3 – Streamlining
- When an autistic patient has achieved their optimal functioning condition, it may be necessary to maintain certain natural medicines, supplements or treatments on an on-going basis. Treatments are selectively discontinued and restarted if there is any regression; otherwise, a maintenance dose or strategy is determined.
Treatment for Autism is available in Oakville at Touchstone Naturopathic Centre by Scott Clack, N.D. who has successfully treated over 1000 children with ASD, ADD, ADHD and other learning or behavioural disorders.