“You have this problem because of your age: You don’t need to treat it” is a phrase that undermines the health and wellness of this very valuable segment of our population. While it is true that some functions will decline as we get older it’s also because seniors may not take care of themselves as they age, particularly when living alone. The Basics of Healthy Living are important to maintain in our Golden Years: healthy diet, exercise, good sleep and mindfulness. Dr. Clack has been studying Gerontology (the study of aging) for several years, to help his own parents as well as patients. This knowledge is helping stop or delay the aging process and giving seniors access to longevity approaches as taught from “The Blue Zones” and experts like Dr. Dale Bredersen.
Dr. Clack has learned that the following naturopathic approaches are often helpful for Senior patients:
- Cleanses and detoxification support using herbal or homeopathic cleanse kits, plus nutritional supplements such as Methyl-B12, Folate and TMG
- Sauna therapy for detoxification of a broad set of toxins from the environment. Exercising that produces strong perspiration is an alternative to sauna treatment, and has additional benefit for the cardiovascular system plus reducing diabetes risk.
- Following the Basics of Health: eat healthfully, sleep well, support your emotional needs, and keep your frame moving properly. When the Basics are in use, fewer supplements and medicines are needed.
Improvements in memory and cognitive function can be achieved with several key lifestyle choices such as:
- Social interaction – meet regularly with family and friends, and have active discussions about life and your world
- Taking courses – learn a new language or study a subject you’ve been interested in. Courses are available on-line or through local universities or colleges. Take the tests or exams in the course, to increase your motivation to learn and retain the new knowledge from the course
- Arts and crafts – learning to make or fix things helps re-learn organization skills, and will set new memory links in your brain
Seniors are often concerned about taking natural medicines when they are also taking prescription medicines. Dr. Clack will review your medications and his suggestions to be sure there are no known interactions that could be harmful. Your care will be personalized and will consider your ability to make lifestyle changes and affordability.
For more assistance for yourself or a family member, book a consultation with Dr. Clack at Meridian Naturopathic Clinic or Touchstone Naturopathic Centre.